Oct. 1, 2009
"Cornerstone and Grove" Focuses on Campus' Foundations
The old wish, "If these walls could only talk," has nearly come true for Oxford College of Emory University with the publication of "Cornerstone and Grove," a history of the campus where Emory was established in 1836. Subtitled "A Portrait in Architecture and Landscape of Emory's Birthplace in Oxford, Georgia," the book was written by Erik Oliver, who is a native and current resident of the city of Oxford.
"There is a special affection felt by everyone associated with Oxford, especially our alumni, for its beautiful campus and its historic buildings," says Stephen Bowen, dean of Oxford College. "We have long wanted to chronicle the development of Oxford's sense of place and to tell the story of its architecture, past and present. We are delighted to make this beautiful and informative book available."
Oliver, who is an Emory graduate and trained historian, begins with the founding of Emory College in Oxford in the 19th century and continues through to the current day, depicting the campus's various buildings, some no longer standing. Interwoven with the story of Oxford's architecture is the history of its landscape and the surrounding environs, and these are richly illustrated with historic photos and drawings.
Copies can be purchased from the Oxford College Bookstore on the Oxford campus or from the Arts Association in Newton County, 1106 Washington Street, Covington. More information, including how to order by mail, can be found at www.oxford.emory.edu/cornerstone. For inquiries on scheduling book signings or for further information, contact Cathy Wooten, Oxford College director of communications, at 770.784.8331.